Sunday 8 June 2008

Bangkok

I'm currently sat in an internet cafe at Bangkok airport while I await my flight to Phnom Penh

If there is one thing I dislike about travelling, it is extremely early starts to the day.

Today I was awoken at 6.15am to get a taxi to Phuket Airport. I felt like shit, despite having a quiet one the previous evening. This time of the day is totally and utterly alien to me. The taxi left the hotel at 7am and it took us nearly an hour to reach the airport, a journey which would have been shorter if the driver hadn't bizarrely stopped at a petrol station to look at sunglasses for a few minutes. But buy no petrol...

Everything at the airport was quick and efficient, and it wasn't long before I was on board the 8.50 Air Asia flight to Bangkok. Although the journey was fine and afforded some great views, I couldn't stop yawning and felt generally awful.

Shortly after we landed in Bangkok, I was puking into a bin while waiting for my luggage, which has to go down as one of the more unedifying things I have done of late. After more spewing in the bogs, it became apparent that I was suffering from more than just a case of drowsiness. Indeed the four hours I then spent waiting for my flight to Phonom Penh included bouts of stomach pain.

A quick trip to Boots - yes, they are out here as well - and the purchase of a few tablets later, I started to feel better. In truth, it hadn't been a bad few hours waiting in any case. Bangkok's airport is vast, comfortable and spectacularly modern. In many ways it is a symbol of how this part of the world is becoming so increasingly competitive and successful.

No comments: